Queen Margrethe II
• Role strictly apolitical and symbolic. As such not permitted to voice public opinion on referendum.
• Born April 16, 1940, eldest child of King Frederick IX and Queen Ingrid. Full name Margrethe Alexandrine Thorhildur Ingrid. Family and friends know her as "Daisy."
• Studied political science, economics and archaeology at universities of Copenhagen, Cambridge, �rhus and Paris.
• Married to Count Henri de Laborde de Montpezat (1967). Two sons, Frederick (born 1968) and Joachim (born 1969).
• Became Queen on January 13, 1972, on death of father.
• Although wields no direct political power, annual televised speech on New Year's Eve, covering such issues as environment, immigration, nationalism and culture, is extremely influential.
• Gifted artist. Has exhibited throughout Denmark and Scandinavia, and illustrated 1977 Danish translation of "Lord of the Rings" (under pseudonym Ingahild Grathmer).